Monday, September 03, 2007

Jobless Worker

Man, boredom is such a difficult thing to deal with. I would rather deal with a wailing baby than this state of joblessness. Since my boss is working out of office today and I have, for a change, completed my work for the day, I am feeling chokingly bored. I feel like I could suffocate to death any moment if not assigned on to some occupation other than random thinking. Aaaaaaargh!!!

Let me see what attempts have I made so far to free my soul from this curse of working under someone. I have gone through all the pretty faces I have ever seen in my life. I couldn’t have missed a single one man. From my first sub-conscious crush to my first conscious crush; from that truly eternal (read-ungettable) beauties to the ones who make you rethink your want for the status of ‘committed’; I have gone through them all. And not just faces, mind you!

But it only left me feeling more irritable - and bored - and frustrated!

Suddenly then, I thought I must log on to the internet and chat up with a few friends. So I logged on to Gmail and was delighted at seeing so many of them online. I quickly messaged a couple of them and patiently waited for their reply. A minute passed. Then another…and then another minute passed followed by another minute. I was red in face, with ire. I had already pinged 10 people. 6 chose not to reply at all. 2 logged out. And the remaining two politely wrote – “busy at work dude”.

Any guesses what I would have felt like at that moment???

A Loser! A god-damn worm dying to get into any crack on the ground!

Disappointed, I went back to my excel sheet that I have been preparing for 3 months now. I would come to office everyday and dedicate myself to preparing this sheet. And now that I have finally prepared it there is no one to look at it. Otherwise, everyday at least a couple of unwanted people passing by my cubicle would drop in and take a look at the work I was doing and give me that corporate smirk. Today I wonder where they have all disappeared. Grrr…

So, left in solitude I started playing a game, which should preferably be played between two people. But given my circumstances I changed the rules to suit my needs. It’s a game that my other jobless friend and I had concocted on our collective jobless days.

Now you see, if at least you have company on such occasions it doesn’t feel so bad.

So I was talking about the game. Well, it is not a very intelligent game. I know that’s anyone’s guess considering the people who invented it. But it is great entertainment.

This is how it is played.

Two people take turns to reach the end of an excel sheet by any means you can choose. The person getting to the end of it in a lesser time is the winner. And to accommodate our individual emotions we would never stop till both of us had won an equal number of times. Look, now we obviously din’t want to lose each other to the results of this highly competitive game. Our company was all we got for killing boredom. More often than not the scores were always 0-0

Now my current task was to get the second player. So I decided to use both my hands as two different players. Right was me and left was my friend. After a minute I realized I was betraying my friend by giving him the weaker hand. So I swapped players and went on with the game. I loved the way the virtual lines on the sheet disappeared like fading memories. It is a sight that never ceases to hypnotize me. I loved my new found job. In excitement I used both my hands and when I realized it I was disappointed at having wasted so much time.

At this moment, I went back to my dejection.

What you are reading is a result of my final and successful attempt. Its time I packed up for the day

Adios!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

At times in life, there comes a point when you look back and say: If Only !...

If only you could have pinged me....I would have told you about my unwashed bucket full of clothes man :D...

and yeah now u owe me 2 comments, better pay them soon ;)

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eby said...

Awesome one man!!!

Memento mori said...

dada i thought if there was anyone more jobless than me it was you ;)

Memento mori said...

Thanks a lot Eby :)

Unknown said...

Will mark it to Yashwanth :))

Memento mori said...

hey raji...why do u wanna render me jobless ya... anyway thts the disguised status quo :)

a big yawn said...

Damn u lier.. you did not ping me.. i was online as well.. and u cant find a better example of disguised unemployment than me.. if you had pinged me .. as i was online the whole day.. i could given u links for online hardwood hearts.. or miniclip games.. i am a pro at it..
but at least good sense prevailed and u blogged.. for that i today officially welcome you to the blogosphere..

Memento mori said...

Dada... yar u appeared busy so i chose not to disturb ya... if u ever find me online, plz send a message irrespective of ma status :)
and send me the links u were talkin abt anyway ;)

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...That game is phenomenal. Especially the one player version you came up with. :)

Unknown said...

dude this piece is brilliant.....i can visualize a future stanely kubrick movie(alas he is dead)in the gloom and sorrow of the protagonist. and this time i am not joking........keep up the good work

Memento mori said...

Thanx adi... may be there wil be such a moovie someday, without the great legend

Memento mori said...

ya man saurav... the one person version is amazingly entertaining man... u must try it ;)

Anonymous said...

People should read this.